Sharlan Douglas has guided businesses and not-for-profit organizations in southeast Michigan through the constant and inevitable changes of markets, cultures and leadership.
She served as president of the Dearborn Chamber of Commerce, founding executive director of the Eight Mile Boulevard Association, VP for marketing and development with the Metropolitan Center for High Technology and an account supervisor with the public relations counseling firm of PR Associates.
In those and other positions Douglas has served employers, members and clients in association management, economic development, urban planning, broadcasting, food service, travel & tourism, retail and special events. Her skill set includes strategic planning, marketing, community relations, media relations, publications design and editing, speech writing, website planning, E-communications, speaker coaching, grant writing and fundraising.
Douglas received a BA in journalism from Michigan State University and has completed the course work for a masters degree in urban planning at Wayne State University. She lives in Royal Oak, where she serves on the city commission as mayor pro tem and on the city planning commission. She is a past president of the Michigan Association of Planning and a graduate and life member of Leadership Detroit.
Awards and honors
- MSAE Diamond Award, e-newsletter, Dearborn Chamber of Commerce
- MSAE Diamond Award Honorable Mention, website, Dearborn Chamber of Commerce
- American Chamber of Commerce Executives Association Award of Excellence, website, Dearborn Chamber of Commerce
- Center for Joint Public Services award for Outstanding Private/Public Partnership, Eight Mile Boulevard Association
- International City Manager’s Association Program Excellence Award for Intergovernmental Cooperation, Eight Mile Boulevard Association
- Horace Sheffield Award for community leadership from the Alliance for a Safer, Greater Detroit
- International Association of Business Communicators Award of Merit, external newsletter, Metropolitan Center for High Technology