The media landscape continues to shift. As the news hole at traditional media outlets declines, we have fewer opportunities to reach hundreds of thousands of people at once. Simultaneously, we have many more changes to reach 5,000 keenly interested people through a website or blog.
In his Bad Pitch Blog, Kevin Dugan describes what that means to public relations professionals and their clients.
- News releases must feature actual reportage.
- We must be relevant, understanding the current events filters editors use to choose stories.
- We must talk with and understand our clients’ customers
- Response must be rapid and brief (See “relevant”)
- If we help the reporter/blogger generate clicks, we generate clicks for our clients.
- We have to know how to use the front-end tools, like fundamental storytelling and multimedia, as well as the back-end tools, like search and analytics.